Skip to main content

99 Vidas

 If I'm not going to be able to review old school games, I may as well stick to games that are designed to look and feel like them.

It's not like they're hard to find. I feel like in the last few years, there's been a huge increase of throwback style games released on modern consoles. It makes sense, people who grew up gaming in the 90's are now old enough to program their own games. Couple that with the fact that it's easier than ever for small teams of developers to get together, create a game and release it to a wide audience and its only logical that this would happen. I  think it's great personally, a lot of these games do a really good job of providing old school experiences while adding some of the better aspects of modern game design.

99 Vidas certainly fits into that category. Released in 2016, it's done in the style of an old school, 2D, arcade style beat em' up. Up to four players can get together, either in person or online, to battle their way through a series of levels filled with swarms of quirky enemies and bizarre bosses. It's producer has stated his inspiration came from games like Streets of Rage, Double Dragon and Golden Axe, though I found it most similar to the Simpsons arcade game. It wears all of its influences on its sleeve and it frequently references 90's video games and pop culture. Like many of these new but old games, 99 Vidas was created after a successful crowdfunding campaign, this time through a Brazilian called Catarse, and the influence of its native country is also on full blast.

There is a story here, with you taking the role of the guardians of the 99 Vidas, and artifact that allegedly has untold power. If this artifact should fall into the wrong hands, it would threaten the very existence of the universe. Of course, the 99 Vidas is stolen and it's up to you to get it back. It's simple and not at all thought provoking, but it's all you need in a game like this. It's part of the throwback charm, all of those 90's beat em' ups had dumb stories like this. 

99 Vidas features some really awesome looking 2D graphics. The characters are all well animated and their sprites are very expressive and unique. The backgrounds all look really cool and are extremely lively and detailed. The enemy sprites are great too and there are a good variety of different characters to fight. Each different enemy type has a few palette swaps, but that's pretty common in games like this. The bosses in particular are extremely detailed and expressive, which I always found to be important in beat em' ups. The sound is also excellent, it's a perfect callback to the old school games it references. I find a lot of these throwback games miss the mark here, they have the requisite bleeps and blips but they sound entirely too clean and modern. That isn't the case here.

Each character has a unique set of attacks, though all the attacks are performed with the same button commands. The button layout is pretty standard for a beat em' up, you can jump, punch, kick and activate a screen clear attack. You can also use one button special moves at the cost of some of your life. You can string the attacks together to complete combos, which allow you to do more damage but also leave you vulnerable. You will need to balance the need to keep fighting with the need to control where you are being attacked from, as enemies will attempted to fight you on all sides. This isn't the most chaotic beat em' up, I don't think there are ever more than four or so enemies on the screen at one time, but it's still a challenge to keep them all in front of you.

I think the enemy design here is excellent. For one, they all look really cool and are on theme for the Brazil-inspired environments. As I said, there is a lot of palette swapping, but at least the enemies that look similar behave differently. I think they did a really good job with the enemy AI. There is a good balance of enemies who try and get behind you, enemies who attack you directly and enemies who try and bait you into doing something stupid. You need to formulate strategies for fighting each different type of enemy, but once you do you will find the game to be incredibly balanced and fair.

At least until you fight the bosses. While it's something of a trope in games like this to have difficulty spikes at bosses, it's very pronounced here. The first two bosses aren't too bad, but after that they start to get just insane. It's annoying too because you have to start the level again if you do get killed at the boss and trust me, you will. It wouldn't be that big a deal, especially for people that are into super challenging games, but the levels themselves aren't difficult at all. There are just too many health pickups, I was playing on one player so maybe the number of item drops doesn't scale, but it was a lot. It was especially noticeable given the games that inspired 99 Vidas, where getting one small health pickup per level was standard.

While I had a good time with 99 Vidas, I feel like something was missing. I definitely picked up on the video game and 90's related humor, but I feel like a lot of stuff that was very uniquely Brazilian went over my head. I recognized that the first boss was wearing and Argentine soccer jersey, and I chuckled when he says "Oh my Evita!" when you crash your car into his arcade, but I couldn't help but feel I was missing something. There were definitely some translation errors, though it's not like this was a plot driven game. I like that the game's combat is more focused on offense than defense, but sometimes it felt like it was just too easy to button mash your way through. I would rather have that than be forced to contend with some stupid blocking and parrying mini game, but it still wasn't the ideal balance.

99 Vidas was a good, fun distraction, but I wouldn't call it a must play. I have never been a huge beat em' up fan, so that could just be me. The balance and modern conveniences help make it an easier to digest expirience than some of the games that inspired it.  The leveling system and unlockables provide a little bit of depth. But the difficulty spikes are impossible to ignore and the monotony of the gameplay sets in pretty quickly. Fans of beat em' ups and old school games will find plenty to like, but it isn't for everyone. Still, the good far outweighs the bad.

7.5/10 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10s: Resident Evil CODE:Veronica

Welcome Claire! Consider the area you're in a...special playground I have prepared just for you. Please try and keep me amused, and do not disappoint me by dying too soon! Halloween is here, so that means it's time to get spooky once again. It's been a while, but we're finally getting back to Resident Evil. I am not a huge fan of horror in general, but Resident Evil is one of my all-time favorite gaming franchises. It has the third most games in my personal top 100, behind only Mega Man and Final Fantasy, and is tied with FF for the most games on my 10s list (three apiece, for the record). Last year, I reviewed the absolutely incredible Gamecube remake on Halloween. Maybe next year I'll review Resident Evil 4, another 10/10 that just recently received a big budget remake. Both of those are all time classics, they are not only personal favorites but also important touchstones in the gaming industry as a whole. But, as great as they are, as revolutionary as they were,

Nier: Automata: Part 1

  Let's start with a question. Why are you reading this review? You are just wasting your time. Why am I writing it? In fact, why either of us playing video games at all? None of it means anything. In fact, forget video games. Nothing means anything. Nothing at all. Why bother with life, you may as well just...yeah, I think I need to stop there. Saying that would get me in trouble and besides, who decides what means what anyway? I am going to keep the modern game train running, because I finally got a chance to play yet another one of the internet's favorite games. I have read a lot, like, a lot, about how amazing Nier: Automata was, how it was on a different level in terms of storytelling from just about every game that's ever existed. I've heard it called "the most profound video game ever" and "a truly classic humanist fable." There are countless articles, videos, podcasts, whatever covering just how deep and philosophical the game is. Stop me if

Five Year Anniversary Tournament: Preliminary Round

  All the formalities are over and it's time to get down to business. Let's kick off the GOTBP Five Year Anniversary tournament with round one. We have three matchups this week, all between great games. But I am looking for the best of the best, my favorite game that I've played over the last five years. So, it's time to get this thing kicked off. Preliminary Round Matchup One (6) F-Zero GX vs. (11) Grim Fandango We start with the lowest seed in the bracket, a PC style adventure/point and click title that I reviewed earlier this year. I have to qualify something here, as it is the only game in the bracket with a 9.25 score and one of many titles with that score. I went backed and looked at all the games I had given that score and decided that GF was the best of them, even if only by a small margin. Mega Man X4 and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon were also in consideration. But honestly, I don't think any of them would have stood a chance in this round. Because F-Zer