Skip to main content

2023 Year-End Review

 Wait, already? Yeah we are doing the year-end review early. I am going to call it a year on reviews in the first week of December because I have something planned for the next few weeks.

Why? Well, this is my five-year anniversary and I want to do something to honor all of the great games I've reviewed since I started writing GOTBP as a New-Year's Resolution in 2019. What? Well, stick around to find out. In the meantime, there's the matter of handing out my awards for this year. Remember, we do best game, worst game, most surprising, most disappointing and most deserving of a modern update/remake. So, here's a reminder of the games we've looked at this year and their scores. As is customary, 10's games are not considered for these.

Sweet Home - 9.25/10
Grim Fandango - 9.25/10
Street Fighter III: New Generation 9.25/10
Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 9/10
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - 9/10
Banjo-Kazooie - 9/10
Super Double Dragon - 9/10
Virtua Fighter 2 - 8.75/10
Chained Echoes - 8.75/10
8.75/10 - Black
Mega Man 10 - 8.5/10
Sea of Stars - 8.25/10
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - 8.25/10
Illusion of Gaia - 8/10
Blast Corps - 8/10
Digger T. Rock: Legend of the Lost City - 8/10
Soul Blazer - 7.5/10
Bad News Baseball - 7.5/10
Vectorman - 7.25/10
Doom 64 - 7.25/10
Vanguard Bandits - 7/10
Real Heroes: Firefighter - 7/10
Total Carnage - 7/10
Niceklodeon All-Star Brawl - 7/10
Die Hard - 6.75/10
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle - 5.5/10
Predator - 5.25/10
X-Men-Mutant Apocalypse - 5/10
Rambo - 5/10
Triple Play Baseball - 4/10
Terminator 2 - 3.5/10
Wild Metal - 3/10

Overall, this has been a really strong year. The highs haven't been as high as we have seen in the past, but there have been very few true stinkers and a lot of really good games concentrated around the middle. For score adjustments, I think I have to bump Mutant Apocalypse up a point, it's way better than the two games above it. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I would change, so now it's time to pick a game of the year.

We have a three-way tie at the top of our list with three very, very different games. First, we have the proto-Resident Evil RPG for the Famicom, Sweet Home. That this game was still as amazing and playable as it was in 2023 is truly impressive. You can really see why the people that worked on it wanted to create what would become RE so badly. Next, you have a shock game of the year winner from one of the medium's best years in Grim Fandango. It's a truly unique and inventive title with a memorable story and fascinating art style. Finally, we had the first of man titles in the Street Fighter III series with New Generation. That this is considered largely inferior to its succesors and it's still so highly rated should tell you all you need to know about it and SF III as a whole. I will say, if this were SF III: Third Strike we were talking about it isn't even a question. But it's not, so it is. Anyway, when it comes down to it, I think I have to go with Sweet Home. New Generation is more accessible, but it's not even the best version of itself. Both Grim Fandango and Sweet Home are deliberately paced and not for everyone. But Sweet Home just has more to offer in terms of gameplay, even if Grim Fandango might have more style. All of these are must play games and honestly, most of the games that finished just behind them are fairly essential as well.

Worst game was much easier. It's not just because I want to stay in the governator's good graces, Wild Metal was an atrocious slog and I actually considered lowering its score. Terminator 2 was more "playable but not good" while Wild Metal was more "so bad it's unplayable." At least T2 tried to follow the movie and playing it makes you at least think of doing something awesome (that being watching the movie Terminator 2). Wild Metal looks like someone barfed macaroni and cheese onto your screen and feels like pushing a boulder up a hill while you play it.

Most surprising has to be Total Carnage. Yeah it wasn't the greatest game I've ever played, but like...what the hell is this? I mean that in a good way, it's a profoundly weird game I wish I had known about earlier. I had a lot more fun than I would have ever thought with Digger T. Rock and Real Heroes: Firefighter was ways better than it had any right being, but I just couldn't make up the events of Total Carnage if I tried. Oh, the gameplay is also fun and addictive. 

Most disappointing was probably Alex Kidd, though that was partly my fault. I kind of have some biases when it comes to Sega games and when I hear about one I instantly think of the Genesis. I had heard so much about AK and I was extremely disappointed when I played it for the first time. Of course, I came to find out that most of the positivity around the franchise came from its Master System releases, not it's only Genesis title. I am really looking forward to playing those older titles but even still, Enchanted Castle was disappointing. Rock, Paper Scissors for boss battles? Are you serious? 

As for most need for a modern update or remake, I am going to go in a bit of a weird direction. Even though it's modern already, I would really like to see a big budget version of Real Heroes: Firefighter. I always felt like firefighting could make for a great game and I would love to see what a top end developer could do. Real Heroes had some really fun gameplay and some great pacing and atmosphere, but it was really rough around the edges and lacked a lot of things that prevented it from being great.

So, that's it for 2023. But before we look forward it's time to take a look back in time. Because in honor of five years of GOTBP (and one of the GOTBP Podcast) I am going to put the best games against each other in a bracket to see which comes out on top. Over the next few weeks, we will be looking at theses tough matchups between the highest scoring games, ending the year with the finals. There are going to be 11 games in the bracket with the five game of the year winners receiving byes. The eight highest scoring games will receive wildcard bids. Without further adieu, the Seeds will be as follows:

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
2. Suikoden II
3. StarFox 64
4. Sonic Mania
5. Sweet Home
6. F-Zero GX
7. Final Fantasy VII Remake
8. Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium
9. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
10. Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
11. Grim Fandango

I will build out a bracket for next week, but the first round will consist of three matchups. The Sonic Mania and Sweet Home will both receive byes into the quarters, where they will be paired against each other. That's not how I wanted this to work out, but the uneven number of byes kind of necessitates it. I guess I could have done some bracket gymnastics, but I really don't want to. Anyone that has ever created a seeded bracket before (or sat at a wrestling tournament for two extra hours while someone else attempted to create one) knows it's easier said than done. SMT, Suikoden II and Star Fox 64 also receive byes. So that means our matchups are:

(6) F-Zero GX vs. (11) Grim Fandango
(7) Final Fantasy VII Remake vs. (10) Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
(8) Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium vs. (9) Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

One last piece of housekeeping, it's time to check on our progress with the 10s:

Borderlands 2

Breath of Fire 2

Civilization 2

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy

Doom

Earthbound

Final Fantasy 6

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 8

Goldeneye: 007

Half Life 2

Heroes of Might and Magic 3

The Last of Us

Legend of Legia

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Lunar II: Eternal Blue

Madden 04, 08, 09

Mega Man 3

Mega Man X

Metal Gear Solid

Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow

Resident Evil (REmake)

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil: Code: Veronica

Soul Caliber

Star Ocean: The Second Story   

Street Fighter II Turbo/Champion Edition

Super Mario 64

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars

Super Mario World

Twisted Metal 2

Valkyria Chronicles

WCW Vs. NWO: World Tour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10s: Resident Evil CODE:Veronica

Welcome Claire! Consider the area you're in a...special playground I have prepared just for you. Please try and keep me amused, and do not disappoint me by dying too soon! Halloween is here, so that means it's time to get spooky once again. It's been a while, but we're finally getting back to Resident Evil. I am not a huge fan of horror in general, but Resident Evil is one of my all-time favorite gaming franchises. It has the third most games in my personal top 100, behind only Mega Man and Final Fantasy, and is tied with FF for the most games on my 10s list (three apiece, for the record). Last year, I reviewed the absolutely incredible Gamecube remake on Halloween. Maybe next year I'll review Resident Evil 4, another 10/10 that just recently received a big budget remake. Both of those are all time classics, they are not only personal favorites but also important touchstones in the gaming industry as a whole. But, as great as they are, as revolutionary as they were,

Nier: Automata: Part 1

  Let's start with a question. Why are you reading this review? You are just wasting your time. Why am I writing it? In fact, why either of us playing video games at all? None of it means anything. In fact, forget video games. Nothing means anything. Nothing at all. Why bother with life, you may as well just...yeah, I think I need to stop there. Saying that would get me in trouble and besides, who decides what means what anyway? I am going to keep the modern game train running, because I finally got a chance to play yet another one of the internet's favorite games. I have read a lot, like, a lot, about how amazing Nier: Automata was, how it was on a different level in terms of storytelling from just about every game that's ever existed. I've heard it called "the most profound video game ever" and "a truly classic humanist fable." There are countless articles, videos, podcasts, whatever covering just how deep and philosophical the game is. Stop me if

Five Year Anniversary Tournament: Preliminary Round

  All the formalities are over and it's time to get down to business. Let's kick off the GOTBP Five Year Anniversary tournament with round one. We have three matchups this week, all between great games. But I am looking for the best of the best, my favorite game that I've played over the last five years. So, it's time to get this thing kicked off. Preliminary Round Matchup One (6) F-Zero GX vs. (11) Grim Fandango We start with the lowest seed in the bracket, a PC style adventure/point and click title that I reviewed earlier this year. I have to qualify something here, as it is the only game in the bracket with a 9.25 score and one of many titles with that score. I went backed and looked at all the games I had given that score and decided that GF was the best of them, even if only by a small margin. Mega Man X4 and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon were also in consideration. But honestly, I don't think any of them would have stood a chance in this round. Because F-Zer