Skip to main content

The Legend of Dragoon, Part 2

The Legend of Dragoon, Part 2

Last week, we talked about The Legend of Dragoon, and its awful, awful translation.  It might seem like I hated the game, but that is far from the case.  We already talked about the negative, so lets focus on the something positive.

Image result for the legend of dragoon bad translation haschel

The biggest positive?  The graphics.  This game looks great.  It may be the best looking game on the system and that is saying something.  Some of the pre-rendered backgrounds are truly breathtaking and the animations are really smooth.  The character models look really good, they’re a little blocky, but that’s to be expected on the PS1.  It isn’t even just the backgrounds, its the backgrounds of the backgrounds.  Perhaps the biggest standout moment comes when your party takes a boat from one continent to another.  The water looks and moves like its real, which is a huge accomplishment. 

You can’t talk about an RPG without talking about the story and LOD offers a decent one.  You play as Dart, who is on his way home from a failed quest to find the Black Monster, an evil entity who destroyed his hometown years ago.  Wouldn’t you know, he finds his adopted home destroyed, this time by imperial soldiers who have taken his lady friend Shana hostage.  This sets off a series of events the lead Dart and his friends on a quest to stop a deranged god from destroying the world (because of course it does).  All the while he continues his personal journey to find the black monster and avenge his family.

The story is generic RPG fare, but that kind of works in its favor.  Even if you don’t understand a lot of the minutiae of the conversations, most of the major plot points come through.  The translation does take some of the bite out of the twists, but they are still pretty impactful.  The characters are all fairly interesting and the fluid animation helps their personalities come through despite the bad translation.  There’s a pretty good variety of locations and I find them to be hit or miss.  Some are filled with personality (if Feltz were a real place, I would totally live there) while others are just blah.

The combat system in LOD really stands out, for better and for worse.  It’s a turn based RPG, but the addition system adds a twist.  Rather than just press “attack,” players are prompted to complete a series of button presses.  Successfully completing them will activate an addition and lead to more damage.  As you level up, you learn more additions.  They get way harder, but also offer the potential for way more damage.  The key here is that you don’t have to complete the additions.  By now you all know how I feel about timed button pressing mini games, but LOD doesn’t punish you too harshly for failing.

Combat is a strength, but also has its flaws.  On one hand, it makes every battle matter.  On the other, it can make easy battles take longer than they should.  The game has random encounters and it probably handles them better than most RPGs.  In the field, Dart will have an arrow above his head.  Blue means you have a while before your next fight, yellow means get ready and red means you will have an encounter any minute now.  I don’t hate random encounters as much as some, but I will say this system did take away a lot of frustration.  The field locations look great, but some of the camera angles are tricky.  That is especially true in the towns, where it can be impossible to see where your party is.  This is an unfortunate reality of pre-rendered backgrounds, but its really bad here.

At the end of the day, there just isn’t anything here that makes it stand out aside from the graphics.  The story, characters and atmosphere are just okay and suffer from the bad translation.  It’s a shame, because I think this game could have been a true classic.  It’s also dragged down a bit by coming out in prime years for RPGs.  Hell, I have even considered doing a PS1 JRPG power ranking post.  

I won’t go into that much detail here, but I can say off the top of my head I would play definitely play any of the PS1 Final Fantasy games (the 3 numbered entries and tactics), Star Ocean II, Legend of Legia, Grandia and Suikoden II before I played this.  I know they are technically Sega CD games that were re-mastered, but I had always counted the Lunar titles as PS1 games and they are both better than LOD.  Azure Dreams is a personal favorite of mine, so I would put that above it.  Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Front Mission 3 and Parasite eve are probably better.  It’s close for me, but I would have to put Vagrant Story ahead of LOD as well.  That said, LOD is probably a little better than the Arms games and the tales games.  It’s definitely better than the first Suikoden and any of the SaGa or Persona games (side note: I don’t really like any of the Persona games), and definitely way better than stuff like Shadow Madness or Beyond the Beyond.  Overall, solid and worth a play, but misses the mark of an all time great.

7.5/10

You should play this game if:
You want to see the PS1 at the top of its game graphically
You like RPGs with more active combat systems
You understood any or all of the last paragraph

Avoid if:
You absolutely can’t deal with bad translation
You like faster paced games
You can’t find humor in the following: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10s: Resident Evil CODE:Veronica

Welcome Claire! Consider the area you're in a...special playground I have prepared just for you. Please try and keep me amused, and do not disappoint me by dying too soon! Halloween is here, so that means it's time to get spooky once again. It's been a while, but we're finally getting back to Resident Evil. I am not a huge fan of horror in general, but Resident Evil is one of my all-time favorite gaming franchises. It has the third most games in my personal top 100, behind only Mega Man and Final Fantasy, and is tied with FF for the most games on my 10s list (three apiece, for the record). Last year, I reviewed the absolutely incredible Gamecube remake on Halloween. Maybe next year I'll review Resident Evil 4, another 10/10 that just recently received a big budget remake. Both of those are all time classics, they are not only personal favorites but also important touchstones in the gaming industry as a whole. But, as great as they are, as revolutionary as they were,

Nier: Automata: Part 1

  Let's start with a question. Why are you reading this review? You are just wasting your time. Why am I writing it? In fact, why either of us playing video games at all? None of it means anything. In fact, forget video games. Nothing means anything. Nothing at all. Why bother with life, you may as well just...yeah, I think I need to stop there. Saying that would get me in trouble and besides, who decides what means what anyway? I am going to keep the modern game train running, because I finally got a chance to play yet another one of the internet's favorite games. I have read a lot, like, a lot, about how amazing Nier: Automata was, how it was on a different level in terms of storytelling from just about every game that's ever existed. I've heard it called "the most profound video game ever" and "a truly classic humanist fable." There are countless articles, videos, podcasts, whatever covering just how deep and philosophical the game is. Stop me if

Five Year Anniversary Tournament: Preliminary Round

  All the formalities are over and it's time to get down to business. Let's kick off the GOTBP Five Year Anniversary tournament with round one. We have three matchups this week, all between great games. But I am looking for the best of the best, my favorite game that I've played over the last five years. So, it's time to get this thing kicked off. Preliminary Round Matchup One (6) F-Zero GX vs. (11) Grim Fandango We start with the lowest seed in the bracket, a PC style adventure/point and click title that I reviewed earlier this year. I have to qualify something here, as it is the only game in the bracket with a 9.25 score and one of many titles with that score. I went backed and looked at all the games I had given that score and decided that GF was the best of them, even if only by a small margin. Mega Man X4 and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon were also in consideration. But honestly, I don't think any of them would have stood a chance in this round. Because F-Zer