Skip to main content

Rise of the Robots

Rise of the Robots

After a disappointing 90s fighting game, lets try and get back on the horse.  

I mean, it’s not like there was a shortage of 1 Vs 1 arcade style fighting games in that era.  Few of them were going to match the quality of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, but sometimes you just need a little change of pace. They already screwed up dinosaurs, but robots are cool too. How could you possibly screw that up?  Check out this add from GamePro back in the day.  Look at all these badass robots:
Image result for rise of the robots
But as we learned last week, just having a cool concept and shoehorning it into a fighting game wasn’t always a recipe for success.  Publisher Time Warner missed the mark a little bit with Primal Rage.  They missed it completely with Rise of the Robots.  I could say this game sucks, but that wouldn’t accurately convey how terrible it is.  I would call it crap, but I would never disparage fecal matter by comparing it to this game.  This game is an abomination, its the kind of mess that set the medium back years when it was released.

Let’s start with them graphics.  Like Primal Rage, it looks great when its on pause.  But unlike PR, where the game gets a little choppy when the action starts, this gets completely blurry and borderline unplayable.  The characters move like they are stuck in molasses, making every round feel slow and plodding.  The sound is just ambient noise, the sound effects are miserable and the backgrounds are boring and lifeless.

Image result for rise of the robots SNES

As for the controls, they are completely busted.  There is almost a full second delay between hitting the button and attacking.  That is unacceptable in any game, but game breaking in a fighting game.  The button layout is pretty standard, but take a guess as to how you do special moves.  Quarter/half circles? Charging? Button combos?  After all the complaining about PR, it must be that weird “hold button and do button combos” thing again right?  Wrong.  It was a trick question, there are no special moves!  None.  At all.  All you can do is punch and kick.  You can’t even throw.  Your character’s closest thing to a special move is a jump kick. 

And notice I said character.  As in singular.  Remember all of those cool robots from the Ad?  You can’t play as any of them, at least not in the one player mode.  The only way to play as the other characters is to enter the two player mode and play as the second player.  Not that it matters all that much because no one has any special moves, moves at the same speed and deals the same amount of damage, but that’s still BS.  Could you imagine playing Street Fighter II and only being able to play as Ryu?  Or Mortal Kombat where you could only play as Liu Kang?  It would get old really fast, and in that case you would at least be playing a game with fluid animation and be able to throw Hadoukens/bicycle kicks.  

Apparently, the selling point of this game was going to be its high level of enemy AI.  That never panned out.  There was also supposed to be music from Queen guitarist Brian May, but that must have only been in the CD based versions of the game because it certainly wasn’t on the SNES.  None of it would have mattered.  It could have had you playing against Watson to a soundtrack performed by May and a resurrected Freddy Mercury and this game still would have been worthless.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever play this game.  Don’t even play it if someone offers you money.  Primal Rage may have been disappointing, but its worlds better than this.  You hate Shaq Fu?  You will be begging for Shaq Fu after five minutes of playing this garbage.  You absolutely need to fight robots? You would have more fun curb stomping a Roomba or getting into a slap fight with R.O.B. (or, you know, playing a different game about robots).  In all my years of gaming, I can honestly say I have only played one single fighting game that’s worse than this and that at least had the excuse of being a butchered port.  I can’t believe I paid $60 for this back in the day.  What a piece of trash.

0.25/10

Play this game if:
You are a masochist

Avoid if:
There is no “if.”  Just avoid it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10s: Resident Evil CODE:Veronica

Welcome Claire! Consider the area you're in a...special playground I have prepared just for you. Please try and keep me amused, and do not disappoint me by dying too soon! Halloween is here, so that means it's time to get spooky once again. It's been a while, but we're finally getting back to Resident Evil. I am not a huge fan of horror in general, but Resident Evil is one of my all-time favorite gaming franchises. It has the third most games in my personal top 100, behind only Mega Man and Final Fantasy, and is tied with FF for the most games on my 10s list (three apiece, for the record). Last year, I reviewed the absolutely incredible Gamecube remake on Halloween. Maybe next year I'll review Resident Evil 4, another 10/10 that just recently received a big budget remake. Both of those are all time classics, they are not only personal favorites but also important touchstones in the gaming industry as a whole. But, as great as they are, as revolutionary as they were,

Nier: Automata: Part 1

  Let's start with a question. Why are you reading this review? You are just wasting your time. Why am I writing it? In fact, why either of us playing video games at all? None of it means anything. In fact, forget video games. Nothing means anything. Nothing at all. Why bother with life, you may as well just...yeah, I think I need to stop there. Saying that would get me in trouble and besides, who decides what means what anyway? I am going to keep the modern game train running, because I finally got a chance to play yet another one of the internet's favorite games. I have read a lot, like, a lot, about how amazing Nier: Automata was, how it was on a different level in terms of storytelling from just about every game that's ever existed. I've heard it called "the most profound video game ever" and "a truly classic humanist fable." There are countless articles, videos, podcasts, whatever covering just how deep and philosophical the game is. Stop me if

Five Year Anniversary Tournament: Preliminary Round

  All the formalities are over and it's time to get down to business. Let's kick off the GOTBP Five Year Anniversary tournament with round one. We have three matchups this week, all between great games. But I am looking for the best of the best, my favorite game that I've played over the last five years. So, it's time to get this thing kicked off. Preliminary Round Matchup One (6) F-Zero GX vs. (11) Grim Fandango We start with the lowest seed in the bracket, a PC style adventure/point and click title that I reviewed earlier this year. I have to qualify something here, as it is the only game in the bracket with a 9.25 score and one of many titles with that score. I went backed and looked at all the games I had given that score and decided that GF was the best of them, even if only by a small margin. Mega Man X4 and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon were also in consideration. But honestly, I don't think any of them would have stood a chance in this round. Because F-Zer