Skip to main content

Gaming and Streaming Services

 Going to take a little break from reviews to talk a little bit about something I've been thinking about a lot.

It seems like streaming services are taking over the gaming industry and it kind of feels like it happened over night. I don't like it, but I always kind of knew that digital games would overtake physical media sooner rather than later. But I'm not sure I ever saw XBox GamePass or PlayStation Plus Premium coming. Hell, I remember seeing Gamefly for the first time and being blown away, but also unsure it would ever work. I was also unsure I would ever get into any of these services, largely because I prefer retro games and physical media, but now that I've experienced them firsthand, I wanted to give some thoughts as to the positives, negatives and whether these things are worth it at the end of the day.  

To me, one of the biggest positives here are the sheer selection of games. There are hundreds and hundreds of games on these from newer AAA releases to old school titles. XBox Live has a lot of Rare games (like, games by the developer Rare, not ones that are difficult to find) and this might be the easiest way to play a lot of them. More and more PS1 classics are starting to find their way on to the highest tiers of PlayStation Plus. Many of these games are the other kind of rare, the kind that makes them hundreds of dollars on the secondary market. But there are a lot of the latest and greatest releases games out there as well. Some of them are even available at launch on these services which is cool. I also think it's nice how many full series there are, especially on XBox Live. It was really cool to see the entire mainline Doom series, from the original all the way up to Doom Eternal. If only they had that Doom mobile RPG on there too.

The problem is that this is all very expensive. PlayStation Plus is $120 a year and XBox GamePass is $15 per month, even more expensive. Yeah, it's a lot of content, but it's also a lot of money. If you are using these services to play the latest and greatest games, and you can complete at least two of them each year, then it's definitely worth it. But nowadays, games are so long that may not necessarily be possible for more casual gamers, or even serious gamers that focus on one or two titles. While the lineup of games on each of these services will appeal to a variety of gamers, the value may not be there for everyone, especially those that are using them to play games that might not necessarily be full price. If you only play a few hours a week, or if you are a hardcore grinder in Fortnite or Call of Duty or whatever, streaming services may not be for you.

Think about it like this. If you are playing on XBox, you have all of the Elder Scrolls games available to you, which is awesome (well, at least the ones that were released on console, sorry, no Daggerfall or Arena). Those games are great. They are also incredibly long, especially if you are going to complete them. Most gamers know that Oblivion and Skyrim are long, according to Howlongtobeat.com the former is going to run 169 hours for a completionist run while the latter will take upwards of 212. Morrowind is less well known among console gamers and it's even longer than its successors, clocking in at up to (gasp) 331 hours for a completionist run. Even if you cut those hour counts in half, you are still looking at close to 350 hours of gameplay. If you wanted to complete these games, you are going to have to play two hours a night for an entire year...and that's without touching any other games in your collection. These are just three games out of hundreds, but they can absolutely consume your life and I'm not sure it would cost you even $50 to purchase them all. So, why pay $150? Of course, not everyone is a completionist, those are extreme scenarios, but in an era where every game feels like it takes a million hours, it almost doesn't seem worth it to pay extra to have access to hundreds of them.

At the end of the day though, more content options are always good. You may not have time to play every game on XBox Live or PS Plus Premium to completion, but they provide you with a range of options that wouldn't have been possible just a few years ago. It's also a great way to introduce older games to newer gamers. It's kind of cool to see how many people are playing Goldeneye for the first time and really enjoying it, especially with how much hate that game gets from modern gamers. I know I've been playing a ton of old school games. I'm really conflicted, because I like the options those service provide but I feel like it's not worth it for me personally because I play so many different games across so many different consoles. Either way, the fact that so many games are so readily available to so many gamers is awesome and it's an overall positive of modern gaming. Just make sure you are getting your money's worth.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10s: Resident Evil CODE:Veronica

Welcome Claire! Consider the area you're in a...special playground I have prepared just for you. Please try and keep me amused, and do not disappoint me by dying too soon! Halloween is here, so that means it's time to get spooky once again. It's been a while, but we're finally getting back to Resident Evil. I am not a huge fan of horror in general, but Resident Evil is one of my all-time favorite gaming franchises. It has the third most games in my personal top 100, behind only Mega Man and Final Fantasy, and is tied with FF for the most games on my 10s list (three apiece, for the record). Last year, I reviewed the absolutely incredible Gamecube remake on Halloween. Maybe next year I'll review Resident Evil 4, another 10/10 that just recently received a big budget remake. Both of those are all time classics, they are not only personal favorites but also important touchstones in the gaming industry as a whole. But, as great as they are, as revolutionary as they were,

Nier: Automata: Part 1

  Let's start with a question. Why are you reading this review? You are just wasting your time. Why am I writing it? In fact, why either of us playing video games at all? None of it means anything. In fact, forget video games. Nothing means anything. Nothing at all. Why bother with life, you may as well just...yeah, I think I need to stop there. Saying that would get me in trouble and besides, who decides what means what anyway? I am going to keep the modern game train running, because I finally got a chance to play yet another one of the internet's favorite games. I have read a lot, like, a lot, about how amazing Nier: Automata was, how it was on a different level in terms of storytelling from just about every game that's ever existed. I've heard it called "the most profound video game ever" and "a truly classic humanist fable." There are countless articles, videos, podcasts, whatever covering just how deep and philosophical the game is. Stop me if

Five Year Anniversary Tournament: Preliminary Round

  All the formalities are over and it's time to get down to business. Let's kick off the GOTBP Five Year Anniversary tournament with round one. We have three matchups this week, all between great games. But I am looking for the best of the best, my favorite game that I've played over the last five years. So, it's time to get this thing kicked off. Preliminary Round Matchup One (6) F-Zero GX vs. (11) Grim Fandango We start with the lowest seed in the bracket, a PC style adventure/point and click title that I reviewed earlier this year. I have to qualify something here, as it is the only game in the bracket with a 9.25 score and one of many titles with that score. I went backed and looked at all the games I had given that score and decided that GF was the best of them, even if only by a small margin. Mega Man X4 and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon were also in consideration. But honestly, I don't think any of them would have stood a chance in this round. Because F-Zer