Skip to main content

EA Sports NASCAR '99

So it looks like it's we're back into "this is totally and completely countercultural for me" territory.

I'm just going to come out and say it, I know next to nothing about NASCAR. I know it's incredibly popular, but it's just not something I grew up with. I'm from the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon line for that. But it's more than just regional. Racing just wasn't something my parents or anyone I knew paid attention to. As little as I know about NASCAR, I know even less about F-1 or rally racing or drag racing or whatever other competitive kinds of racing are out there. My extent of knowledge of the sport comes from not changing the channel when SportsCenter showed race footage between football highlights and coverage of MLB trade rumors. It's not that I don't have respect for NASCAR drivers, in fact I don't understand people that refuse to call them athletes. "They only make left turns!" Have you ever made a left turn going 200 MPH? Yeah, it's not that easy and its incredibly physically demanding. That was a bit of a tangent, but the point is despite the respect I have for NASCAR drivers, I know next to nothing about the sport.

So, it only makes sense that I decided to play a NASCAR game. It's about as obscure for me as it gets. I never, ever, in any universe imaginable would have played this game when it came out. But it's come into my collection, so why not? I have to say, I had more fun with NASCAR '99 than I ever thought I would. It certainly helps that the game is very well done technically. At this point in its existence, EA was starting to really nail down sports games and began to separate from the back in that area. It would take a few years, but this was the start of their sort-of-monopoly on the genre. Part of what made these games so great was they knew the audience for each specific sport and catered to that audience. That's apparent as soon as you start up NASCAR '99 and are greeted with an awesome video package of racing action set to country music. It continues through to the gameplay, which offers tons of car customization and setups, almost to the point it felt like too much as a non-fan. My lack of knowledge prevented me from getting the full experience of the game, but remember, I wasn't the target audience. What was foreign to me was likely a draw to NASCAR and racing fans, and I have to give EA credit for that.

The game offers and impressive roster of drivers, many of whom would be familiar even to non-fans. Jeff Gordon and the late Dale Earnhardt transcend the sport, but guys like Dale Jarrett, Bobby Labonte, Michael Waltrip and John Andretti were all familiar faces as well. WCW fans would certainly remember Mark Martin, as the promotion would provide updates on his races due to shared sponsorship by Valvoline, and Kyle Petty, who used to drive the NWO car (which sadly isn't in this game) and was technically a member of the faction. In all, there were more than 30 drivers to choose, which offers plenty of variety. Many of the sport's iconic tracks, like Daytona, Darlington and Bristol. I couldn't tell you if these were faithful recreations of these tracks but based on the care that was taken with other parts of the game I would assume yes. Honestly, the graphics on the tracks are a little lacking, there just isn't that much to look at or much to differentiate them from one another. The cars, however, look great, they are super detailed and look exactly like they should. Overall, there isn't a whole lot to really see, but what there is looks really good.

Controls are pretty simple, you can accelerate, brake, turn and switch camera angles and that's about it. I have to give credit to the camera angles, they have four, all of which are useful. There's a close-up view that's great for when you need to make more precise turns, a slightly wider angle so you can see what's ahead of you, an overhead view where you can see your opponents and a first person view. The first person view is pretty cool, it really makes you feel like you're behind the wheel and it was a welcome addition. If I had one issue it would be that you have to cycle through all the views every time you want to change, which is kind of a problem. You really need to use all of the views (unless you really want to do the whole immersive first person thing) to race to the best of your ability. The good news though is the controls are generally responsive while also doing a great job of maintaining a sense of actual realism. Your brakes actually work, but you can't stop on a dime, which is how it should be. Turning feels like it should in a simulation racing game, not too stiff but not so precise that it eliminates any and all challenge. Throughout the race, you will have a pit crew chief in your ear, providing advice on what to do and letting you know when you should pit. Some of the stuff is pretty basic and I could see a longtime fan turning it off, but I found it to be a welcome feature. It was especially critical in the first person view where you couldn't see opponents behind you.

I think the best feature of the NASCAR '99 is its physics engine. Without this, it would just be a bunch of cars making left turns around the track. I'm not a huge racing game afficionado, but I find developers often have difficulty differentiating between what should go in a simulation style game and what should go in something more arcade-y. That wasn't the case here, EA knew exactly what to do to make NASCAR '99 feel like a racing sim, which is obviously a positive. Take a turn too hard and you will hit a wall. Trade too much paint with another racer and you will both start to lose control, requiring you to lay off the gas to regain it. You can even draft, which I know is a big thing in NASCAR. It was a little frustrating at first, I found myself on the infield quite frequently on my early playthroughs, but once I got it down, I found it rewarding. I also like the pit stop process; you don't have to play some stupid mini game but you do get to choose what exactly you do during your stops. The more changes you make, the longer you are in the pits, so it's really important to stay on top of your fuel and damage.

The biggest problem for me, frankly, was the sheer amount of car customization I will fully admit I didn't understand. This is where genre bias kicks in, this stuff would probably be a selling point for NASCAR and simulation racing fans, but it was a barrier to entry for me. You can choose what kind of tires you put on, how much you want to inflate those tires and what durability you want. You can adjust the angle of your spoiler, the tightness of your shocks, the strength of your brakes, anything you could possibly imagine. I'm sure this stuff is relevant to race fans, but I just don't really know what I'm doing or why. I'm sure there's a reason you would use looser shocks, or a certain track that caters to one kind of tire, but I just don't know enough to make an informed decision on these things. You can get a few wins that way, but it's eventually going to reach the point where you have to optimize your vehicle and I just never could get there. Again, this is probably a positive for fans of the sport, it's kind of the "game within a game" that every athletic competition has. But for me, it made the game difficult to get in to.

My other major gripe is that there's no music during races. I get that they're trying to make it as much of a simulation as possible, but it really just made things a bit more boring than they should have been. You don't have to have the music insanely loud, you still want to hear the pit crew and announcers, but it would be nice to have some background noise other than engines revving. I understand that this was all kind of before EA started licensing music like crazy but having one or two songs would have been nice. I'm not really a big country music fan, but it would have fit perfectly here and would likely have been a hit with the target audience. The menus also were a little strange, they were sometimes difficult to navigate and confusing. It was way more difficult and less intuitive to choose a racer and track than it should have been.

Overall, I had more fun with NASCAR '99 than I ever thought I would, even if I probably won't play it again. Like Jet Grind Radio, it's hard for me to give this game an objective score because I wasn't really the target audience. A lot of the things that made this game inaccessible to me would probably be counted as positives by race fans. And that's okay. Not every game is going to be everyone's cup of tea. I was able to get a little bit out of this game, but I felt like I barely scratched the surface here. Maybe I will revisit this later, and NASCAR fans will certainly find something to like, but for me:

6.75/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10s: Resident Evil CODE:Veronica

Welcome Claire! Consider the area you're in a...special playground I have prepared just for you. Please try and keep me amused, and do not disappoint me by dying too soon! Halloween is here, so that means it's time to get spooky once again. It's been a while, but we're finally getting back to Resident Evil. I am not a huge fan of horror in general, but Resident Evil is one of my all-time favorite gaming franchises. It has the third most games in my personal top 100, behind only Mega Man and Final Fantasy, and is tied with FF for the most games on my 10s list (three apiece, for the record). Last year, I reviewed the absolutely incredible Gamecube remake on Halloween. Maybe next year I'll review Resident Evil 4, another 10/10 that just recently received a big budget remake. Both of those are all time classics, they are not only personal favorites but also important touchstones in the gaming industry as a whole. But, as great as they are, as revolutionary as they were,

Nier: Automata: Part 1

  Let's start with a question. Why are you reading this review? You are just wasting your time. Why am I writing it? In fact, why either of us playing video games at all? None of it means anything. In fact, forget video games. Nothing means anything. Nothing at all. Why bother with life, you may as well just...yeah, I think I need to stop there. Saying that would get me in trouble and besides, who decides what means what anyway? I am going to keep the modern game train running, because I finally got a chance to play yet another one of the internet's favorite games. I have read a lot, like, a lot, about how amazing Nier: Automata was, how it was on a different level in terms of storytelling from just about every game that's ever existed. I've heard it called "the most profound video game ever" and "a truly classic humanist fable." There are countless articles, videos, podcasts, whatever covering just how deep and philosophical the game is. Stop me if

Five Year Anniversary Tournament: Preliminary Round

  All the formalities are over and it's time to get down to business. Let's kick off the GOTBP Five Year Anniversary tournament with round one. We have three matchups this week, all between great games. But I am looking for the best of the best, my favorite game that I've played over the last five years. So, it's time to get this thing kicked off. Preliminary Round Matchup One (6) F-Zero GX vs. (11) Grim Fandango We start with the lowest seed in the bracket, a PC style adventure/point and click title that I reviewed earlier this year. I have to qualify something here, as it is the only game in the bracket with a 9.25 score and one of many titles with that score. I went backed and looked at all the games I had given that score and decided that GF was the best of them, even if only by a small margin. Mega Man X4 and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon were also in consideration. But honestly, I don't think any of them would have stood a chance in this round. Because F-Zer