Skip to main content

007: Everything or Nothing

 Great, now I have to talk about something I've been dreading for the last three years. It's time to talk about my absolute least favorite genre of games, bar none.


I know I've talked at length about my general dislike of racing games, but there are plenty of titles in the genre I like. I mean, I F-Zero GX is tied for my highest score ever and I certainly didn't hate games like Chocobo Racing or even NASCAR '99. I don't love racers, but there are plenty of them I like, and I understand what people see in the genre. But you already knew this wasn't a racing game as soon as you saw "007" in the title (there actually does exist a 007 Racing game, which I will try to track down, but this isn't it). No, instead, everyone's favorite super spy is going to force me to discuss a genre I absolutely loath: cover-based 3rd person shooters.

I may have to put an asterisk on this one like I did Jet Grind Radio, because I don't think I've ever played one of these games that I even remotely liked. I've actively tried to avoid them, mostly for my own sanity but also because I almost don't feel like I can review them fairly. But when I popped this Gamecube title in expecting an FPS or stealth game, I found very quickly I'd be stuck playing one. It was a massive disappointment, especially considering the developers did so many other things right. I'm not going to say I'm a huge James Bond fan, but I'm definitely a fan. Everything or Nothing brought in major stars and presented a unique, original 007 story that would have been right at home on the silver screen. It has good graphics and sound, with music appropriate for the series. It offers plenty of guns and gadgets, a prerequisite for a good Bond game. But it all falls apart once you press start. I already dislike games in this genre, but I can sometimes tolerate them if the controls are tight, and the gameplay is interesting. Unfortunately, that's not the case here.

Bottom line, these games just aren't playable if the lock-on functionality and cover mechanics are bad, and they are terrible in EON. I felt like I could never actually 'stick' to any of the objects I was supposed to hide behind and when it did finally work, I would end up ducking behind the wrong object and get killed in the process. If I was able to successfully find cover, the targeting would bounce around what at what seemed like complete random. It took forever to target the enemy I wanted and half the time it would drop off as soon as they moved anyway. That led to a lot of sitting around waiting, or I should say even more waiting than usual. I already find cover-based games boring because I always feel like all you do is wait. You hide, you wait 20 minutes for enemies to stop shooting, you shoot back, you wait again. Having to work around the core mechanics of the game prolongs and already drawn-out experience and adds a side helping of frustration to the equation. Some titles in the genre do an okay job of giving you the illusion you are playing an action packed, bullets flying everywhere chaotic shooter, but EON can't hide its boring nature. The first level has you rappelling down an exploding building and because of the mechanics, it still manages to be boring. People rag on RPGs for being slow paced, but I'll take slow paced over literally doing nothing while enemies shoot at you any day.

Wait, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, Everything or Nothing. Level design is a critical aspect of cover-based shooters because you need to provide enough objects to hide behind while also not making it feel too contrived. But EON manages to not do either. There are tons of big, open spaces that you are constantly forced to run across to find cover and you spend most of the game as a sitting duck. It would be acceptable, dare I say even good, design in an FPS or more action oriented 3PS, but it doesn't work here at all. You can't base your game almost entirely around finding cover and then not provide said cover. Things get a little better when you go inside buildings, there are always plenty of hallways to skulk around, but even still it just feels like there aren't enough places to hide. This is compounded by the fact that enemies drain your life bar very quickly. That shouldn't be a problem, in fact it should be like that in a cover-based 3PS, but the poor level design makes it feel unfair rather than like something that should be happening. I should also mention, there is no indicator of where you're being shot from, which is a major, major problem.

While we are on the subject of enemies, I feel like there are entirely too many of them. Maybe it's because you die so quickly, or that there are set pieces where they come at you without warning when you are nowhere near cover, but I think the real issue is lack of ammo. I found like I was constantly running out of ammo, which is a major problem in a game where your shots are going to miss more often than not. Again, this is okay in stealth and survival horror games...but this isn't either one. I guess I understand what they were going for, most Bond games have some level of stealth involved and that's certainly the case here. But most of the game is still centered around gun battles and shooting things behind cover, where you will often find yourself improvising because you are out of ammunition. Honestly, the best parts of the game come when you aren't shooting, whether it be the car chases or exploring the levels using gadgets.

It's a shame too, because the presentation level is off the charts excellent. This really looks and feels like a proper James Bond film, with a crazy intro, sultry theme song and strong cast of Hollywood superstars. The plot is supposed to take place after the events of the final Pierce Brosnan 007 film, the abysmal "Die Another Day." Fortunately, there are no Korean generals getting plastic surgery to make themselves look like random British guys involved in the story, which sees Bond dispatched to Egypt to rescue a nanotechnology expert named Katya Nadanova. After succeeding in doing so, the secret agent finds that a terrorist named Nikolai Diavolo is trying to use the technology to bring about untold destruction. If you've ever seen a James Bond movie, I'm sure you could guess how the plot unfolds from here.

Everything or Nothing adds to the whole "big budget movie" feel with its topflight voice cast. Brosnan lends his voice (and likeness) to Bond and he does a great job here. Willem Dafoe, Heidi Klum, Shannon Elizabeth and Mya all make appearances and they all put in strong efforts as well. I know I've mentioned this in the Rise to Honor and King Kong reviews but having casts like this wasn't common in video games at the time. There are plenty of series standbys as well, with Richard Kiel appearing as Jaws, Judi Dench as M and John Cleese as Q. It was really cool to see these iconic characters, though I'm a little upset that I have to assign a poor rating to a game that features Judi Dench. It was nice to see care taken to make the game feel at home in the 007 universe, probably more so than any other Bond game to that point, but it can't make up for poor gameplay.

Again, you should take what I say about EON with a grain of salt. You should take what every reviewer says about every game with a grain of salt, because whether or not someone enjoys a game will always be some level of subjective. I try to be as objective as possible when it comes to these reviews, but I can't always do that. I struggled with it in racing games at first, but I've learned to look a little more at what makes a good racing game and what doesn't from an objective standpoint as I play more and more of them. And again, I've always had a thing for certain racing games, the Mario Kart titles, Crash Team Racing, F-Zero, etc. But I am trying to wrack my brain for a cover shooter I've ever liked, and I can't come up with one. I just can't. That said, I've played a handful that I could tolerate, and, thanks to its finnicky controls and lack of balance, I can't even put EON in that category. This game wasn't reviewed all that poorly by the mainstream gaming media, so maybe it is just me, but I didn't even remotely enjoy it.  It's a shame because it does a lot of things right with presentation. That alone makes it's score a bit more respectable.

4/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10s: Resident Evil CODE:Veronica

Welcome Claire! Consider the area you're in a...special playground I have prepared just for you. Please try and keep me amused, and do not disappoint me by dying too soon! Halloween is here, so that means it's time to get spooky once again. It's been a while, but we're finally getting back to Resident Evil. I am not a huge fan of horror in general, but Resident Evil is one of my all-time favorite gaming franchises. It has the third most games in my personal top 100, behind only Mega Man and Final Fantasy, and is tied with FF for the most games on my 10s list (three apiece, for the record). Last year, I reviewed the absolutely incredible Gamecube remake on Halloween. Maybe next year I'll review Resident Evil 4, another 10/10 that just recently received a big budget remake. Both of those are all time classics, they are not only personal favorites but also important touchstones in the gaming industry as a whole. But, as great as they are, as revolutionary as they were,

Nier: Automata: Part 1

  Let's start with a question. Why are you reading this review? You are just wasting your time. Why am I writing it? In fact, why either of us playing video games at all? None of it means anything. In fact, forget video games. Nothing means anything. Nothing at all. Why bother with life, you may as well just...yeah, I think I need to stop there. Saying that would get me in trouble and besides, who decides what means what anyway? I am going to keep the modern game train running, because I finally got a chance to play yet another one of the internet's favorite games. I have read a lot, like, a lot, about how amazing Nier: Automata was, how it was on a different level in terms of storytelling from just about every game that's ever existed. I've heard it called "the most profound video game ever" and "a truly classic humanist fable." There are countless articles, videos, podcasts, whatever covering just how deep and philosophical the game is. Stop me if

Five Year Anniversary Tournament: Preliminary Round

  All the formalities are over and it's time to get down to business. Let's kick off the GOTBP Five Year Anniversary tournament with round one. We have three matchups this week, all between great games. But I am looking for the best of the best, my favorite game that I've played over the last five years. So, it's time to get this thing kicked off. Preliminary Round Matchup One (6) F-Zero GX vs. (11) Grim Fandango We start with the lowest seed in the bracket, a PC style adventure/point and click title that I reviewed earlier this year. I have to qualify something here, as it is the only game in the bracket with a 9.25 score and one of many titles with that score. I went backed and looked at all the games I had given that score and decided that GF was the best of them, even if only by a small margin. Mega Man X4 and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon were also in consideration. But honestly, I don't think any of them would have stood a chance in this round. Because F-Zer