Skip to main content

Vigilante 8

After last week’s review, I found myself in the mood for a vehicular combat game.  I thought a lot about playing one of the Twisted Metal titles I own, but decided I would save them for later.  They aren’t that far out of the ordinary anyway.

Instead, I turned a game that’s very near and dear to my heart, Vigilante 8.  The genre is almost extinct now, but in the late 90’s/early 00’s, vehicular combat games were everywhere.  The genre, at least in its 3D form, was essentially created by Twisted Metal and most of the games that followed it tried to one up the early PS1 title.  TM was filled with crazy cars, bizarre characters and cartoonish stages, so others tried to compete by trying to get crazier, weirder and more “out there,” usually to mixed results.

Image result for vigilante 8

Vigilante 8, on the other hand, went in the opposite direction.  Set in the Southwestern United States in the 1970’s, V8 ditched the demonic ice cream trucks and guys stuck between two giant wheels for realistic cars and trucks.  No grim reaper riding a motorcycle here, you have a truck driver, a disco maniac, a government agent and a conspiracy theorist.  The game puts you in control of members of one of two factions, with the evil Coyotes hell-bent on causing as much damage as possible and the Vigilantes trying their best to stop them.  There’s still plenty of suspension of disbelief required, but Vigilante 8 is substantially more grounded in reality than any of its contemporaries.  

It’s been a while since I started with graphics, so lets get back to doing that here.  V8 doesn’t look all that great.  The graphics are very, very choppy and jagged, even for a PS1 game.  I don’t think any game was helped more by the smoothing features of the PS2/PS3.  That’s great, but those features still don’t help with the overly dark locales and ugly, brown heavy color palette.  I get that its supposed to be the southwest, but there is way too much dull brown and gray.  It’s especially jarring when you move on to the few levels that are brighter and more colorful.  At least the cars look good and the animation is fluid.  The cutscenes are top quality too.  Sound is also a mixed bag.  The music in the stages is barely audible and what you can hear isn’t great.  On the contrary, the sound effects are great and the crisp, clear explosion sounds really add to the game.

But graphics aren’t everything.  The gameplay is what stands out here.  You have 8 cars selectable from the start with 4 more to unlock.  Beat the game with all 12 and you unlock two unique multiplayer stages and the 13th vehicle, a flying saucer (which stands out as even more ridiculous given what we just talked about).  Each character needs to clear four stages, with the final stage featuring a battle against their “rival” from the opposing team.  The Coyotes are tasked with destroying landmarks, whereas  the Vigilantes need to protect them.  If I can make one complaint, its that the protection missions are way more difficult and frustrating.  I’ve never been one of those “ehrmagerd I’m so cool I play as the bad guys” types, so that was a little disappointing.  It certainly isn’t gamebreaking though.

Each car is ranked in three categories, speed, armor and aim.  They also have a unique special move.  The developers did a really good job of balancing things here.  One of the big criticisms of the first Twisted Metal is that some of the cars are just inherently stronger than the others.  I have always felt this was because: 1. The developers overvalued speed and 2. The stats in TM didn’t effect the vehicles all that much.  

That isn’t the case in V8.  Slow cars are REALLY slow, while cars with high armor can take substantially more damage.  For my first play through the story, I decided to pick Beeswax, who drives a slow but beefy pickup truck.  It was so bad I started taking notes about busted control.  But when I did my second playthrough as Houston, who drives a sports car, It was super tight and responsive.  Of course, I also bit the dust after only a few hits whereas Beeswax’s pickup could absorb dozens of direct shots.  That’s the way it should be and its how games like this remain balanced.

The weapon selection here is also pretty solid, you have a mortar, mines, a top mounted cannon as well as homing and straight missiles.  Your car can carry three at a time and you will visibly see each attached to your vehicle.  It’s a nice touch and it also prevents you from having to constantly check the HUD.  Each character also has their own unique special attack.  All of them are useful in some way, and many of them feel like fixed versions of Twisted Metal weapons.  Level design is okay, some of the levels have very little to look at but most have at least a few hidden areas.  It’s fun to explore to see what you can find and the game almost necessitates it, as you need to do so to find weapons.  I also like that almost everything is destructible.

The game uses cutscenes and text snippets between levels to tell the story and expand on the background of each character.  The characters are all pretty interesting and, for the most part, are grounded in some semblance of reality (there’s the obvious exception of one being part robot, and the fact that you can unlock an alien).  The cars are all modeled after actual vehicles, at least I think they are because there aren’t any licensed names and I don’t know anything about cars.  Even though they chose to go for more realism, the vehicles still feel varied and interesting.  You have a few different sports cars, a pickup, a Jeep, a gremlin, a van, a Mack truck (I’m sorry, its a Moth truck) and even a school bus.  The characters are all pretty much 70s stereotypes, up to and including a guy in a gaudy disco suit and a Shaft ripoff.  That’s okay, as it actually fits the game’s motif.

All in all, V8 is an excellent game.  It’s certainly one of the better games in the vehicular combat genre, I would say only Twisted Metal 2 is better.  V8 did get a sequel, called Second Offense, for the N64 and Dreamcast.  It wasn’t quite as good but I still remember it getting solid reviews back in the day.  So what happened?  Well, for one thing, Vehicular combat games stopped being a thing soon after the turn of the century.  When was the last time you remember a new game like this coming out?  It’s a shame too because while the highs of the genre were very high, the lows were VERY low.  Even if you want to go back and play a vehicular combat game, your options for a good one are incredibly slim.  That being said, Vigilante 8 is an excellent place to start, especially if you are put off by the more bizarre and often disturbing aspects of the Twisted Metal games.

9/10

Play this if:
You want to play a vehicular combat game with more realistic cars
You like the idea of twisted metal, but can’t handle the bleak and creepy stuff
You feel the sudden urge to bust out some Bee Gees records and watch “Saturday Night Fever”

Avoid if:
Choppy graphics are a dealbreaker

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10s: Resident Evil CODE:Veronica

Welcome Claire! Consider the area you're in a...special playground I have prepared just for you. Please try and keep me amused, and do not disappoint me by dying too soon! Halloween is here, so that means it's time to get spooky once again. It's been a while, but we're finally getting back to Resident Evil. I am not a huge fan of horror in general, but Resident Evil is one of my all-time favorite gaming franchises. It has the third most games in my personal top 100, behind only Mega Man and Final Fantasy, and is tied with FF for the most games on my 10s list (three apiece, for the record). Last year, I reviewed the absolutely incredible Gamecube remake on Halloween. Maybe next year I'll review Resident Evil 4, another 10/10 that just recently received a big budget remake. Both of those are all time classics, they are not only personal favorites but also important touchstones in the gaming industry as a whole. But, as great as they are, as revolutionary as they were,

Nier: Automata: Part 1

  Let's start with a question. Why are you reading this review? You are just wasting your time. Why am I writing it? In fact, why either of us playing video games at all? None of it means anything. In fact, forget video games. Nothing means anything. Nothing at all. Why bother with life, you may as well just...yeah, I think I need to stop there. Saying that would get me in trouble and besides, who decides what means what anyway? I am going to keep the modern game train running, because I finally got a chance to play yet another one of the internet's favorite games. I have read a lot, like, a lot, about how amazing Nier: Automata was, how it was on a different level in terms of storytelling from just about every game that's ever existed. I've heard it called "the most profound video game ever" and "a truly classic humanist fable." There are countless articles, videos, podcasts, whatever covering just how deep and philosophical the game is. Stop me if

Five Year Anniversary Tournament: Preliminary Round

  All the formalities are over and it's time to get down to business. Let's kick off the GOTBP Five Year Anniversary tournament with round one. We have three matchups this week, all between great games. But I am looking for the best of the best, my favorite game that I've played over the last five years. So, it's time to get this thing kicked off. Preliminary Round Matchup One (6) F-Zero GX vs. (11) Grim Fandango We start with the lowest seed in the bracket, a PC style adventure/point and click title that I reviewed earlier this year. I have to qualify something here, as it is the only game in the bracket with a 9.25 score and one of many titles with that score. I went backed and looked at all the games I had given that score and decided that GF was the best of them, even if only by a small margin. Mega Man X4 and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon were also in consideration. But honestly, I don't think any of them would have stood a chance in this round. Because F-Zer